Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Tuesday Slice of Life: Uke Can Do It!

Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community?  Consider sharing a slice of your life with Two Writing Teachers. All writers are welcome! 



Tuesday Slice of Life: Uke Can Do It!

Are you Ready to Learn How to Play the Ukulele? It was mid-December and this email subject line caught my attention. 

I opened the message and read the first part of the message:
Why Uke? Fun, inexpensive and unique, the ukulele's lightweight frame and easy-to-press strings make them compatible for everyone. Uke can do it! 

As a busy mom, wife, and teacher, I had been searching for some sort of class or activity just for me - something that I could just enjoy.

My daughter had a nice ukulele sitting in her closet - one she begged for after a ukulele mini unit at school. Unlike toys or gifts that one of my children loses interest in or outgrows, this one wouldn't go to our local Goodwill or passed along to friends - I could make use of it.

So I signed up. 

Classes began in mid-January. Due to all of our snow days and extreme cold weather, I have only had two lessons so far. I only know a few chords and a handful of songs. It's challenging for me to strum and my fingers don't always move as fast as I would like. Yet I've felt playful and brave - full of joy when I play. 

My daughter's ukulele with music I am learning 

Sam, one of our teachers, urged us to play to relax and wind down instead of viewing it as a chore. So far I have taken his advice. 

I feel good about learning something new. 

15 comments:

  1. This is so cool. I’ve had some excellent ukulele students, and one of my all-time favorite speeches was from one. She even played for the class. I bet you can find some good YouTube Instructional videos to help, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read! One of the instructors has actually make some fantastic YouTube videos.

      Delete
  2. I took up the ukulele last winter. I haven't had any lessons, but Ii leaned on my husband and the world of youtube to help me along. For me it was a significant reminder of what it feels like to be on the low end of the learning curve. More than once something I thought was impossible (my fingers can't move that way!) became possible with repeated practice. I haven't played much recently (other interests take time, too!), but your post is nudging me to dust off my uke and see what my fingers remember. Thanks and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love knowing that you play too! You are so right - it is a great reminder of what it means to struggle with something and have to practice.

      Delete
  3. This is exciting news. My twin sister started taking ukulele lessons in the Fall. I haven't asked her about it recently, but this is a good reminder that I should ask her about her lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

      Delete
  4. This is amazing! What a great hobby!

    https://tammysreadinglife.wordpress.com/2019/02/19/sol19-memory-lane-survey/

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun and fulfilling!! You and these others are an inspiration. Good for you to make time for something joyful. I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I think that a key piece is that is has been something that is relaxing for me instead of another thing to do.

      Delete
  6. This sounds exciting and fun! Admirable that you were ready to learn a new instrument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terje! I was really hesitant to learn a new instrument, but it has been easier than I thought.

      Delete
  7. My daughter begged for a ukulele for her sixth birthday. I envisioned us learning together... I’ve watched a few videos and it’s proven harder than I thought. Kudos to you for taking time to learn something new... and finding time for yourself! This gives me a push to maybe try again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool is this! My son taught himself to play the bass guitar with videos. Have you ever heard of/played a diddly bow? They are pretty cool instruments too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the snow days... ha! I laughed since I got a message moments after reading that informing me my daughter has a snow day tomorrow. HAHAHA!

    Good on you for putting your snow days to something like a new instrument. I've been baking... more than my thighs and belly can handle.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...