Thursday, March 14, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 14: Ukulele Lessons

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 14: Ukulele Lessons


After reading Beth Moore's thought-provoking slice about the difference between Storytelling and Band-aids, I've been thinking of how I can create better stories in this Slice of Life Challenge. For me, zooming into a small moment is really challenging. Lately, I have been struggling to find seed ideas - ones I feel are worthy of developing and sharing. 

When I get stuck at anything, I frequently turn to books. This was no exception. I spied Amy Ludvig VanDerwater's Poems Are Teachers resting on my professional book shelf; I paged through it, searching for some guidance.



Turning to the section called Tell A Story, and using the poem called "My Heart" as a mentor text, I created a free verse poem about beginning ukulele lessons:


Ukulele Lessons
"Do something for yourself"
Her words spooled in my mind.
I needed to find 
something meaningful,
yet manageable. 

Spending two evenings each week
waiting while my children took 
their music lessons, 
I cherished listening to lovely tones  
as I sat outside practice rooms.
Once I overheard a music instructor say,
"Feel the rhythm in your bones." 
And I recalled how I adored 
making music when I was young.
I longed for inspiration again.

An unexpected gift of Christmas money,
a neglected ukulele,
and group lessons became available
on my only open night of the week.
It's meant to be, I thought 
and signed up. 
At last, something for me.

In mid-January, 
warmly greeted by two passionate ukulele teachers,
I learned about frets, finger placement
tuning strings, and basic chords.
"Return home, practice what you learned tonight 
for at least five minutes," Ms. Katie recommended,
"and then reserve fifteen minutes to practice daily."
That evening, when I returned home, 
with clumsy fingers like a newborn foal,
I began practicing the ukulele,
knowing that I could only get better.

Daily practicing became a retreat - 
fifteen minutes of uninterrupted time:
just me and the ukulele.


10 comments:

  1. I love this! I am supposed to start learning the uke this year- no guarantee it will sound like music. Clumsy fingers like a newborn foal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous writing. You write beautiful slices. I love the line "her words spooled in my mind."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "With clumsy fingers like a neeborn foal..." What a lovely, inspiring slice. I have an autoharp gathering dust. Perhaps, I, too, will begin with five minutes, will graduate to fifteen. And I will share this post with Guadalupe. Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep thinking about the myriad forms stories take, and your slice certainly shows that, but I’m also wondering about the impact that post has had, both its positive impact and it’s unintended consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! You capture the wonder and awkwardness of first learning. And thanks for the reminder to go back to Poems Are Teachers. So much inspiration there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, return to Poems are Teachers again and again for inspiration. It's such a powerful source of wisdom, mentors and mentor texts. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome post! "Her words spooled in my mind." - This is a wonderful line (in a poem full of wonderful lines:). Thank you for sharing your beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an inspiring piece... and all from a ukulele!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Clumsy fingers like a newborn foal." I can identify. I tried the guitar two years ago and it was so hard. Kudos to you for hanging in there and putting in your practice time!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...