Tuesday, March 26, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 26: The Best Creation

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers


March Slice of Life Challenge Day 26: 
The Best Creation

Each time we leave our public library, my daughter cannot wait to dig into the books she just checked out. She was engrossed in her book before I exited the parking lot. 

A few moments later, as we coasted up our driveway, Alaina shares in a wistful voice, "Books are the best creation. Especially when there's more than one book in a series. This fills me with joy." 

She holds Fairy Lies to her chest. 


One of her favorite authors, by far, is E.D. Baker and her favorite book is Fairy Wings. She cannot get enough of her books. We scour thrift shops, the library, and any book store to find E.D. Baker titles. She squeals when she finds a new-to-her title by E.D. Baker. She adores the characters, the fantasy, and especially how her imagination transports her to another world. 

I teach high school students and work especially hard to introduce them to the joy of reading again or for the first time (even as seniors in high school). Each year I am crushed when I realize how so many of them lose their enthusiasm for books and how they stop reading for an array of reasons. Alaina's nearly eleven. I do not want this to happen to her (or my son, for that matter). I pray that she always approaches books and reading with so much zest.  

4 comments:

  1. I think watching the sparkle leave their eyes for once loved pursuits like reading and writing is so incredibly sad. It bothers me to no end that oftentimes this comes from the very institution that should be fostering and growing that love for reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I am thrilled that your daughter loves reading and has a favorite author!

      Delete
  2. I hope that nothing can crush your children's love of reading. They are armoured with your example, access to books and amazing reading experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Books are the best creation" - I love it! I, too, worry about my children losing their love of reading. I see my high schoolers and, well, you know the experience. Still, a favourite author, squealing over books... she's well on her way to being a life-long book lover.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...