Tuesday, March 5, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 5: Calendar-A-Day Wisdom

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 5: Calendar-A-Day Wisdom


On Monday morning I came across this Calendar-A-Day page:


Poet Allen Ginsberg's quote resonated with me: "Concentrate on what you want to say to yourself and your friends. Follow your inner moonlight; Don't hide the madness." 


This reminded me of slicing. A lot. At times I catch myself starting a post or changing my words with what I think other people might respond to instead of writing what I truly want to say. This is not who I want to be as a writer (or as a person, for that matter). 


For this year's Slice of Life Challenge, I have been focusing on showing up as a more authentic writer and posting what is important to me that day. 

My inner moonlight is definitely a bit weird, and I need to remember not to hide it. As I was thinking about this, another quote popped in my mind, this one by Dr. Seuss“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”

May you keep following your inner moonlight as well. 

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of "inner moonlight." I also have learned that the best slices are those that come naturally as you go about your day. Looking forward to reading more about your inner moonlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose! I had never heard of this before I saw this quote either!

      And I'm with you, sometimes the shortest posts are the best!

      Delete
  2. The juxtaposition of emotions in the Ginsberg quote is so fitting his style. I need to dig out my copy of Howl. And you have me thinking about being an authentic writer. I’m asking myself: Am I authentic in my writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting question to ponder, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. This quote is fascinating. And I have been thinking about the exact question you raise. I started this month with a post that I wrote in the moment and which I worried was unfinished or unpolished but which garnered lots of positive response. On day three, I went with a funny anecdote and, while I think it was well-written, in the end I had to admit that it was less honest. Hmm... I'm glad to know I'm not alone in thinking about honesty. But I echo Glenda's question: Am I authentic in my writing? I will continue to think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a short post that packs a punch and leaves me so much to think about! Unless I'm writing in my notebook (and even then...), writing is always a performance to some degree, and I am not sure how to gauge authenticity or to be sure I'm being true to me. I usually spend a lot of time during March thinking about what my audience will like to read and trying to make sure I'm writing something that's somehow worth reading every day. But this month, I feel like I am writing more for me, pieces that please me for whatever reason. I still want readers to connect, though, and I still like the comments! It's a tricky balance.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...