Wednesday, March 6, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 6: What's On Your Nightstand?

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 6:
What's On Your Nightstand?


On Monday I thoroughly enjoyed reading Elisabeth's slice called What's On Your Nightstand? Thank you, Elisabeth, for providing me with some inspiration on this next slice.  

A brief glance at a corner of my nightstand 
My nightstand is actually kind of embarrassing. It always has WAY too many books on it. It even has a few of my daughter's books on it (note the bottom two books she is reading, The Benefits of Being An Octopus and The Story of Moana) and then a huge tower of mine. These books sometimes topple in the middle of the night, waking up the dogs and startling my poor husband. I constantly try to tame my pile and fail. 

I always have a few books that I am reading simultaneously. Here is what I am currently engrossed in: 
  1. Dare to Lead, research professor Brené Brown's must recent book, is about her work around courage, compassion, and vulnerability in the workplace. This is also the topic of an upcoming book club that I am discussing with friends soon. I am a huge fan of Brené Brown and always feel that I benefit from reading, discussing, and studying her work. 
  2. Historian Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz's An Indigenous People's History of the United States is also a book that I am discussing with a group of people, this time as part of professional development. Unlike book clubs when I meet face-to-face (and often over adult beverages), this discussion is virtual, using Zoom. Fortunately, I am able to connect with educators from all over my state, providing for some rich conversations. This book is intriguing to me, but it also leaves me incredibly sad and uncomfortable at times. It challenges most history that I've learned about United States policies and even how I view some of our past nation's leaders and historical events (such as battles/conflicts and monuments). 
  3. Knockout, K.A. Holt's newest Young Adult book, came highly recommended by a high school student from one of my classes. Written in verse, this realistic fiction book is about Levi, a medically fragile character with significant respiratory problems, who finds passion in boxing. Although I typically stay away from books that involve sports or fighting, I have been enjoying this one so far. I think that many of my students will also enjoy this title. 
  4. Although this is quite uncharacteristic of me as a reader, I am reading a book that will last me the entire year. Melody Beattie's Journey to the Heart is a collection of daily meditations, one per day. I heard about this book from a close friend and really didn't think that I would enjoy it as much as I have. In the introduction, the author shares how she drove around the United States to sacred, healing, and spiritual places. Beattie explains how she absorbed energy and inspiration from what she called Meccas. This journey fueled her book. 

What's on your nightstand?

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks so much for yet another idea. I have always wanted to read something by Brene Brown. You have reminded me of that this morning. Melody Beatties's book is another I have added to my ever growing list. I think it will make an awesome gift for my sister. I may give this writing idea a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks so much for yet another idea. I have always wanted to read something by Brene Brown. You have reminded me of that this morning. Melody Beatties's book is another I have added to my ever growing list. I think it will make an awesome gift for my sister. I may give this writing idea a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading about your reading life. I have the Indigenous People book in my nightstand. I need to read it. My nightstand stack topples, too. I might need to write about the books there this year, but since I wrote about my book stack last year, I’m crediting myself! ☺️😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisabeth's post is good inspiration. I am sure I'll write one of these during the March. I like finding out what others have on their bed side table. You are not alone with the tower that tends to fall over sometimes. #1 was on my nightstand for a long time. Now it moved to a shelf to make room for other books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing this glimpse into your reading preferences. I'm curious about how you use Zoom for virtual discussions. I meet up with two friends who've moved away for an online book club. We try to use google chat, but sometimes it doesn't work and we just end up doing a 3-way call. It works, since we all know each other well. We don't have to see each other to enjoy our discussion. I've never read one of Brene Brown's books. Where should I start?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you wrote about the books on your nightstand! My tower topples too. Love the variety in what you're reading. I checked out the Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz book a couple of times from the library. I need to follow through and actually read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed this yesterday & then - also inspired by Elisabeth - I wrote about my nightstand stack today. So. Many. Books. I want to read that Brene Brown book & am inspired by your meditation a day book. Ah... I'm beginning to think that the hardest part of this challenge is how it make my to read stack grow!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...