Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Tuesday Slice of Life: How Can I Change My Instruction?

Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community?  Consider sharing a slice of your life with Two Writing Teachers. All writers are welcome! 





Tuesday Slice of Life: 
How Can I Change My Instruction?  

I had the pleasure of listening to Pernille Ripp last week at the Wisconsin Title 1 Conference. (If you have never had the opportunity to learn from Pernille, check out her out her blog or one of her books! She is smart, insightful, genuine, and kind. She will leave you longing to serve all of your students better.) Following her keynote session and two breakout sessions and my teaching heart full, I had so many ideas for what I wanted to adjust in my teaching to effectively reach more students. 

Monday I returned to teaching my high school students. 


Good morning, reality

Ten minutes following the first morning attendance bell, at least one student sauntered in late, clutching Starbucks and donuts. Several of my students didn't show up for class that day.

In first hour, I helped students write a current essay through conferring with individual students and with small groups. At one point I paused, scanned the room and noticed these behaviors: 

  • a few of my students were on Snapchat and watching You Tube videos
  • one student was working on math homework
  • one student was sneaking a game on his Chromebook
  • two students were talking about the best places to schedule up-dos for prom

*Sigh*

Based on conversations that I have had with students throughout the school year, rereading a few of my personal written reflections, and thinking about the quality of student work, I know that many of my students are engaged; yet I have a handful of students in every class who are disengaged in their learning. Sometimes daily.

Like many teachers, I struggle with the levels of student engagement in my classroom. I could blame this on the fact that I teach seniors and it is April. I could blame the disengagement on how many of my students have not found success with traditional school yet (and not just in my classes). I could blame this on the task and how I do not have choice in what the curriculum requires. I could blame this on the lack of parent involvement with some students. I could blame this on students who have a challenging time learning. I could blame this on cell phones or technology. I could blame the lack of student engagement of a lot of things. But blame would not change a thing. There are many so factors that I do have not control over. 

In an early part of Pernille's keynote, she shared a story of when she was struggling with teaching and sharing this with her husband. Her husband responded with this gem, "you cannot change the students, but you can change the way you teach." I kept hearing Pernille's words echo in my mind yesterday. 


Pernille reminded me that our biggest job is to see our students. To listen to them. To make decisions based on how they act, what they know, and how they respond. Based on the behaviors I saw yesterday in first hour, what can I do differently in my instruction to serve these students better? 


Last night before I fell asleep, I spent some time reflecting about my day, intentionally writing about what was successful what was not about my instruction. 

How can I change my instruction so that I can reach more of my students each day? 

Today I still had students who arrived late and a handful who didn't show up. In addition, I noticed a few students were still distracted by technology and personal conversations. However, during my first class hour this morning, I was more intentional in checking in with each student. I softy asked this question to many of my students, "What do you need?" I gently listened to each response and was able to provide better targeted feedback today. 

My instructional approach was more student-centered today. It made a positive difference for several of my students.

My experience Monday and Tuesday echoed what Pernille shared: observe, listen, and see your students; reflect about your instruction and student responses; and make small, but meaningful changes in your instruction.   

15 comments:

  1. It's hard to go from conference mode back to the reality of school. Alas, there are some days that feel like everything we learn at the conferences is do-able, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read, Stacey! Yes, it is great when we can apply what we learned from at conferences!

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful tribute to your reflective nature and desire to be more kid-centered in your instruction. Teaching ought to be this work-- the constant reinventing of who we are in order to reach the students in front of us. I applaud your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lanny! You are right - teaching should be constant reinventing who we are in order to reach all of our students.

      Delete
  3. Over the years I’ve come to realize the importance of honesty w/ students. If I’m frustrated, I tell them. I ask what kind of class they want and work to give them that. I don’t grade in traditional ways. This has made a huge difference in the tone of a class. Not to take anything go away from Pernille, whose work I love, but the rock stars embody a facade that often belies reality. Kids don’t always realize what’s out of our control, so telling them can go a long way in getting them on board w/ what we ask them to do. And, yes, we can only change ourselves. That’s huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think that Pernille is incredibly realistic when it comes to working with students and getting feedback from them. Pernille is still teaching full-time, down-to-earth, and gets how hard teaching is.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments, I agree that often times those who are given exalted status among educators are far removed from the reality or share only the positive. I do think though that I share the reality of what it means to teach through my blog, my speaking, and my transparency. In fact, it is something I purposefully do and have done for the past 9 years because I don't think there is enough reality and it makes all of us feel like we are not good enough because we cannot be like those other teachers who seem to have it all figured out. I don't think that is helpful for anyone. And let's face it, while I speak once in a while, my full-time job is to be a classroom teacher for my amazing 7th grade students and they certainly will not put up with me pretending everything is perfect.

      Delete
    3. I agree. Based on what I have read of Pernille's work, in listening to her presentation, and a few conversations I've had with her, Pernille shares the reality of what it means to be a teacher. She's the real deal. In fact, this afternoon I shared with my principal how powerful her presentation was and how much I appreciated her willingness to be vulnerable with a huge group of teachers.

      Delete
    4. Pernille, Exactly my point. I’m always sad when I see gifted teachers leave the classroom, so I hope you stay a full-time teacher another 29 years, at which point you’ll catch up w/ me. I suspect I suspect you realize among speakers teaching full-time there’s still idealizing that goes on. I’m at the end of my career, and what I see lately is much criticism among certain mid and early career teachers of my generation. I’m particularly sensitive to that and suspect you’ve seen it too. I had a conversation w/ a young administrator whom I hold in high regard about how easy it is for admin to get out of touch. I think about that as I ready for retirement. A couple of years (maybe even one) year away from the classroom, and I’ll feel out of touch w/ reality. I notice it when I’m not teaching in level classes but have a load of honors students. At any rate, I worry when teachers compare themselves to other teachers. Like our students, we’re all unique and teach in unique circumstances.

      Delete
  4. Wow- what a gift you are to your students, reflecting on your practice rather than defaulting to frustration. I too would love to learn from Pernille. Best of luck in the coming weeks with your seniors. That is a challenge. They are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Some days are harder than others! Seniors are an interesting bunch to teach!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughtful and kind words about our time together. I never know what sticks when I share our stories together, but know this; the best teachers (in my opinion) are those that continue to reflect, do their best, and also know that it is also not just on us. We have to continue to keep a dialogue open with our kids because we cannot fix a perceived problem without kids being a part of the solution. I think you model that so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pernille, thank you for taking the time to read this and comment. I'm honored. I agree that the best teachers are the ones that take the time to reflect and make informed decisions based on the kids in front of you. I wish I had done this more earlier in my career. You are definitely the kind of teacher I would want my children to have. I would want to be a learner in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had an opportunity to hear Pernille speak! Always so worth it. My preservice teachers adore her blog, and we read and discuss many articles from it each semester. I love how you turned to your students to ask what they need. There is such power in noticing that something isn't working and then collaborating with our learners to make changes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This could have been just a venting post, but instead, you turned it into a thoughtful reflection of your attempts to reach and engage all of your students. I hope you find more moments of connection in your classes before year's end.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...