Thursday, March 12, 2020

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 12/31: Mullet Musings

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 12/31:
Mullet Musings

We were about to begin class when I heard from my student, C., "Hey Haase! Should I get a mullet?"

Even though I teach seniors in high school, I have many conversations with students about random topics, such as mullets. 

"Well...is a mullet haircut what you really want?" I asked C.

"I do have blue hair. Why not a mullet too?" C. responded.

"It sounds like you have made your decision. Besides, hair grows, right? You're eighteen. It's your hair. Get the kind of haircut you want." I replied.

"You can always shave it!" B., the student sitting next to C. said.

"Will you have a mullet for prom?" Another student, W., asked in disbelief.

"I think that I will wait after prom." C. replied.

"I'm curious. Is getting a mullet haircut a thing now? What made you think of cutting your hair, mullet style?" I inquired.

"You know, Miley Cyrus got one... And if Miley does it..." C. shared.

I may have laughed out loud.

"Well, that's a compelling reason, " I joked.

"The hairdresser that I shadowed had one. It looked awesome." C. said.

"That sounds like a better reason. I can't wait to see what you end up doing." I said.

Suddenly, three students produced photos of Miley Cyrus's mullet haircut.

"See how cute this is?" B. said.

"I think that it's time to start class." I said. We took out our independent reading books and got started. 



Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? 
Consider sharing a slice of yourlife with Two Writing Teachers
All writers are welcome! 

5 comments:

  1. I love kids. Always finding the fun and the joy in things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and surprising conversation. No! Do not let the mullet stage a comeback! Honestly, that photo of Miley Cyrus looks as though her hair is pull back behind her ears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trina, it is good to connect with you again at this year's challenge. Conversations before class starts are always interesting but this is a new one for me. On Tuesday when I was teaching a group of teachers I work with, the conversation started with the antibacterial wipes we were handed for the room-the clean-up began. Then, it moved to certification and so there was a buzz throughout the session while the teams worked on curriculum development.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this was a delightful conversation and you handled it very diplomatically. I always enjoyed these little conversations before class started. Sometimes one broke out in the middle of class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes think those conversations are ways to "divert" the class attention and focus and other times I know they are ways to test the waters and get "pulse" of the room! You are a good teacher for listening!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...