Friday, March 13, 2020

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 13/31: Waiting for Answers

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 13/31:
Waiting for Answers

"Will school be canceled?"
"Will prom go on? Will my ticket money be refunded?"
"Will we have to make up school days if we are in a health emergency?"
"Do you know anywhere that still has toilet paper?" 
"Will we still graduate on time?"  

These just are a few questions that I was asked by my students in less than 20 minutes this morning. 

In the wake of COVID-19, there are so many unknowns. Perhaps we always live in the tension of unknowns, but this seems different. Colleagues, neighbors, friends, and even family members seem more unsettled. 

I feel a bit like a broken record today. 

"I'm not sure," I have responded to many student questions. "We are all anxious for answers, but we will just have to be patient for now." 

Being a teacher during the COVID-19 crisis has been, to say the least, odd. We've never experienced anything like this before. 

This Haiku has been circling in my mind today:

Question flood bombards/
class time. Pandemic affects/
calm, learning, mindsets.  

What will next week look like at our schools?


Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? 
Consider sharing a slice of yourlife with Two Writing Teachers
All writers are welcome! 

2 comments:

  1. I agree w/ all of this. We have so many questions, and I believe most people want to do the right thing. It’s hard to know what that is. I also believe in the power of writing to work through and explore these questions. It has helped me tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today my record said, "That hasn't been announced" as rumors began to flow this afternoon. It is very unsettling.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...