Monday, March 30, 2020

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 30/31: Sidewalk Poetry

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 30/31: 
Sidewalk Poetry

On Wednesday the month of March ends and April begins, ushering in National Poetry Month

This April, in the midst of the social distancing Covid-19 Epidemic, I need to celebrate poetry and do better in sharing how it has impacted me.

On a walk yesterday afternoon, my friend/neighbor, Dave, and I walked past this piece of sidewalk poetry: 
"I call myself poet...
comfortably, happily.
My life is filled with writing...
articles, essays, fiction, history.
But poetry is what delights me,
sustains me, is my strongest need.
As long as I write,
the rest of my life falls into place."
I was stunned. Dave and I were walking in my old neighborhood. I must have walked over that sidewalk poem so many times, but Sunday was the first time that I actually took the time to read it.

Indeed, "my life is filled with writing...but poetry is what delights me, sustains me, is my strongest need..." 

I adore this sidewalk poem. 

After reading this piece and reflecting on it, I cannot help but wonder what I can do to better help celebrate poetry this April, both at home and in my distance-learning classroom.

Fellow readers, I would love your ideas. What will you do to celebrate National Poetry Month this April? 



Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? 
Consider sharing a slice of your life with Two Writing Teachers
All writers are welcome!

2 comments:

  1. That’s a wonderful sidewalk poem. During April I’ll be writing and talking about poetry w/ Sarah Donovan on her website EthicalEla.com and think I’ve mentioned the monthly 5-Day challenge to you before. You can sign up for daily updates via a Google form in the site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspirational sidewalk poem. I'm still pretty nervous about poetry, so I'm not 100% sure what I'll be doing, but Glenda has convinced me to try EthicalELA's prompts - and it looks like we'll be teaching online for the next little while, so I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate poetry in a way that my students will find accessible... spoken word? We shall see...

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...