Sunday, March 20, 2022

Slice of Life #22: Day 20: Cinnamon Rolls and Chili

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #33: Day 20/31
Cinnamon Rolls and Chili

When my children were much younger, we used to get together often with another family, who were native Nebraskans. Throughout the year, our kids played together and the adults all enjoyed each other's company. I especially loved it when we were invited over to their house in the winter months. They always made chili and served it with cinnamon rolls. Apparently, chili and cinnamon rolls are a Nebraska thing. A quick search on Google revealed that our family friends weren't the only ones who loved the combination of chili and cinnamon rollsMaybe Nebraska is on to something. The sweet taste of cinnamon rolls definitely compliments chili. I would have never thought of combining the two foods together.

Yesterday morning we woke up to snow on the ground. It wasn't just the kind of snow that melted as soon as it hit the ground. In fact, to my dismay, there was enough that I had to shovel. All day this put me in the mood for chili. Having the awful sweet tooth that I have, I thought that it would be fun to try to make cinnamon rolls from scratch instead of buying rolls from a can (and it would fulfill a small goal of mine).

For years, I have been so intimidated to make cinnamon rolls from scratch. It's something about using yeast and dough rising that makes me feel so nervous. There are also a lot of steps to follow. 

I found a recipe online and discovered that I had all of the ingredients. I enlisted my teenager daughter, Alaina, to help. We carefully studied the recipe, returning to it again and again while we baked. 

To our delight, our cinnamon rolls turned out just fine. Each of my kids had two of them with their bowl of chili. Not bad for our first try. 

Here's a few shots of our first attempt:





Do you ever eat cinnamon rolls and chili?






6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of eating cinnamon rolls and chili, but i will say that I have seen a recipe for chili that called for a pinch of cinnamon. I can see how the flavors would balance, even if it is a little non-traditional for most of us. Fantastic work with those cinnamon rolls! I'm too scared to try cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often eat weird combinations of food so this doesn't surprise me! Not a combo I would think of on my own but...you never know! I may have to go see what is in the cabinets now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never eaten cinnamon rolls with chili, but your post makes me want to try. Your cinnamon rolls look like they turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cinnamon rolls! I always have to get the middle one because it is the best one! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could be a Mennonite thing. All my life I have been surrounded by chili and cinnamon rolls and it is on our menu for this coming week! I grew up in central Kansas in a small town that houses Tabor College (a faith based college, Mennonite Brethren) and some of my best friends came to Tabor from Nebraska and they too eat chili and cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had this combo, but I want to try it. It’s 2:16 a.m. in Amsterdam as I comment, and my stomach is growling. Those cinnamon rolls look so good!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...