Monday, March 28, 2022

Slice of Life #22: Day 28: Coffee Date

 For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #22: Day 28/31: 
Coffee Date


If we were having coffee, I would share with you that I have only gone out for coffee a handful of times during the pandemic, most of them when it was nice enough to sit outside. Even though I am fully vaccinated and boosted, I still feel odd when I am at a cafe, bar, or restaurant. I wonder when this feeling will go away. 

If we were having coffee, I would tell you how grateful I am to be on Spring Break, even if that means that I am not traveling on any fancy vacations like many of my friends/colleagues are doing. I am enjoying time that is not so rushed and stressful. Slowing down is something that I constantly need to work on. 

If we were having coffee, I would tell you about how I got my haircut last week by a former student. She is learning how to cut hair, so it took a long time. However, it made me feel such joy to see her so confident and happy in this new role. I was so proud to see her thriving. I would tell you that one of my favorite parts about teaching is seeing former students thrive beyond high school.  

If we were having coffee, I would tell you about Words Hurt, an annual event at our school that I was a part of organizing. I would share powerful student responses before and after the event. I would tell you how my friend Jesus spoke about his experience being queer and biracial in a not always accepting community. I would share how I was blown away at how many of my students shared their daily stories of what it was like to identify as LGBTQ+ at our school. I would share my thoughts on the importance of giving the most marginalized individuals a safe space for sharing their stories. 



If we were having coffee, I would share how stunned I am that I have kept up with blogging during the Slice of Life Challenge. Prior to March 2022, I hadn't published one blog post all year. Slicing has made March pass by quickly and reminds me how much I notice when I am blogging. 

Thank you to Elisabeth, who first introduced me to this format of writing. 

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes “ time that is not so rushed and stressful” is a vacation, especially when it’s an extended period of time. I’m so glad you are here this month and hope it’s not another year before you return. I also love seeing former students doing well after high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would have so much to talk about if we were having coffee! I still feel very strange about going to coffee shops--I finally went to one last week (where I was the only customer!). I am going to treat myself again this week but expect to feel very strange and unsure about it. I haven't blogged at all this year either. I love how slicing makes what would otherwise feel like an endless month pass by quickly. Are you thinking about doing a poetry challenge for April? I am still undecided!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...