Thursday, March 23, 2023

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 23/31 Where's Your Shoe?

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers


Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 23/31
Where's Your Shoe?

Did you pack yet? This was a question that I had been asking nagging my seventeen-year-old for the past week. 

Did you check that you have all the clothes you need?
Do you have money for meals?
Did you check in with your teachers for missing work?

Did you pack yet?
Did you pack yet?
Did you pack yet?

For each request, my son replied in an annoyed tone, "I got this, Mom." I was skeptical, but I let him be in charge of his own packing. 

****************************
 
Fast forward to Wednesday morning, the morning he left for his school- sponsored robotics competition. He was running around the house, looking for his team competition shirt and clean underwear. It was all a little chaotic.

"Are you ready to go?" I yelled up the stairs. 7:10 AM. We needed to leave by 7:15 so I could drop him off AND be on time to be prepared for my first hour class.

"Coming!" He yelled. 

"I'll be in the car."

Five minutes pass. He's still not there. I am getting more and more impatient. 

"What is he doing?" I thought out loud and concluded with a sigh. My daughter rolled her eyes.

I dashed back inside the house, leaving my daughter in the car.

I opened the door to see my son balanced on one stocking foot.

"What is going on?"

"I can't find my shoe!"

"What do you mean? You had your shoes yesterday. They couldn't have gone very far."  

"Someone took my shoes!"

"No one wants your stinky shoes," I offer. I looked around the entry way and immediately spotted his shoe.

"Is this it?"

"Yes! Where did you find it?"

"Right in front of you."

We both giggled. In the end, my son left the house with both shoes and packed. His idea of packing ahead is radically different from my own.



4 comments:

  1. Trina, don’t be surprised if that child calls you and wants you to Fedex or drive something to him, and if he does, remember there are grown men who can’t pack worth anything. One lives in my house. I must monitor his packing on every trip. Otherwise I stuck washing underwear in the hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you both had a good laugh at the end. Those moments can be so tense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Great dialogue. Such a perfect slice! I've experienced this with my husband who suddenly has no tee shirts on a trip. What can you do?

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...