Sunday, March 26, 2023

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 26/31: Weekend Coffee

 For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers


Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 26/31:
Weekend Coffee

One thing that I look the most forward to on weekends is my morning coffee. It's the same coffee that I take to school each day in my travel coffee tumbler- brewed at home using my brother's hand-me-down Keurig coffee machine. On weekends I can linger with my coffee - my fingers wrapped around the mug handle. The warmth of my coffee mug somehow makes me feel calm and safe. I inhale the scent of coffee. I savor each sip. 
One of my favorite mugs that a colleague made for me

In contrast, on school days I never have time to enjoy my coffee at home. Three people, including one teenage girl, share one bathroom in my house. It is a frenzied race each day to simply get out of the door so we all make it to school on time. My coffee is transported in my tumbler. Between checking lesson plans, making copies, and updating Canvas is when I take little coffee sips. Often, I am not even sitting down. For me, coffee on a school morning is just not the same. It's still a necessity but does not hold the same kind of magic as weekend coffee. 

6 comments:

  1. Weekend coffee is the best! I try to wake up early enough on weekdays to enjoy my coffee, but sometimes I don't and I end up gulping as I'm getting ready. Kind of defeats the purpose of a favorite ritual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something so different about that weekend cup of coffee. Something that can be savored and enjoyed, while the weekday coffee is fuel for survival! Enjoy your cup today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trina,
    Except for sharing a bathroom w/ a teen, I could have written much of this post. I like savoring and taking time w/ my coffee, which is a benefit of retirement but something I can’t do in sun days. Ken makes my coffee, but he’s not a coffee drinker. My dad and mom both drank coffee, so it’s an aroma I’ve always had around. Maybe that’s part of the appeal. I do like expensive, fresh ground coffee and have recently started drinking amaretto flavored beans, not the kind w/ added sweetness. I prefer black coffee to fancy flavored ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! At school I often neglect my coffee and the last few sips are left. I love the slow coffee drinking of the weekend and refilling whenever I want!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Coffee on a school morning is just not the same." You said it! Coffee on a school morning is my energy and how I can power through. Coffee on the weekend is my calm. Oddly enough, I hate the taste of coffee. I love the energy it provides and apparently I love the taste of creamer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I became a weekend tea drinker for the same reason. Weekend tea was deliciously milky, hot, and spicy, in a tea pot sitting with me as long as I wanted to enjoy it. I never took the time on weekdays to even bother, but now that I'm retired, it's a daily practice, one I always look forward to. Hang in there, next weekend is coming sooner than you think!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...