Monday, March 27, 2023

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 27/31: Begin Where You Are

 For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers


Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 27/31:
Begin Where You Are

Recently, in the post Solace and Connection, Leigh Anne mentioned a book called The Curious Nature Guide, by Clare Walker Leslie. Intrigued, I looked up the book and realized it was on sale through Kindle. I purchased it and immediately began reading it.  

At the beginning of the book there is a recommendation to begin where you are. Even if you are only able to look through a window, readers and writers are invited to list six or seven nature observations you see, hear, or feel. I paid attention as I took a mid-afternoon walk yesterday. Below is what I noticed:

snow, sunshine
puddles, mud, 
deer, gnats, 
red-tailed hawk, robin

3:00 PM, 
March 26, early 
spring, Appleton, 
WI on a 
neighborhood walk

**************************

Nature is a way that I can find solace and connect. Between assessing research papers and preparing for Monday's lessons on Sunday, noticing nature was good for my soul. 

6 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful format for our students (and teachers) who claim they have nothing to say. Yet, it is also so good for our soul as you mentioned to notice the intersection of the seasons amid all the chores awaiting you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I need to check out that book. We’re in Hilton Head for spring break (from Chicago area) and we’re seeing so much wildlife! Turtles, gators, dolphins!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trina,
    I've come to appreciate and admire your ability to notice and craft poetry from all you notice. I really like the idea of looking out a window and noticing. I might need to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! This book is simple, beautiful, and full of inspiration. I love this prompt and how you used it to look out your own window. I hope you will join me next weekend for our first Solace & Connection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got this book as well, but I haven't started it yet. I really want to participate in Leigh Anne's new writing community. And now I want to try this prompt! You really do find poetry everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trina, nature is my go-to topic and has been since college when I was in creative writing and photography classes. I like the prompt you shared and how you made observations on a nature walk. Your poem shares how important observation is when writing. If you are interested, check out my slice for 4/4. I am inviting slicers to write one poem for a gallery showcase titled, Springsations.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...