Thursday, March 2, 2023

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 3/31: Herbert's Security

For the month of March, I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 3/31:

Herbert's Security

"Your photography is a record of your living, for anyone who really wants to see." Paul Strand

At times, when I feel stuck in my writing, I head to my phone. Challenging myself to stay away from doom scrolling (as that is one of the most counterproductive things that I do to myself), I scan through my photos and use a writing technique called writing from a photo. Not surprisingly, my camera roll has a lot of cat photos - an easy writing inspiration.

Below is a recent photo of one of my cats, Herbert. Along with his brother Binx, he loves to burrow in boxes and bags. 


Based on this photo, I wrote a Haiku:

An open suitcase-/

Invitation to nestle./

Cat security.

Click here to see last year's slice about writing from a photo.

What gives you inspiration to write? 

4 comments:

  1. I love photos as inspiration. Bing is a cutie. Perfect haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I think anyone could be inspired to write by that cutie cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the inspiration of a photo to remind me of what I want to remember! This year, I had PLANNED to write in the moment every day....noticing things in my world along the way. I suspect Ill be looking to pictures for inspiration soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herbert! He's just gorgeous, and this is such a lovely haiku. Totally stealing this idea for later in the month. Doomscrolling is one of the most counterproductive things I do to myself too! Cat photo scrolling sounds like a much better idea for a short distraction!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...