Thursday, March 2, 2023

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 2/31 Writing Hiatus

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers


Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 2/31
Writing Hiatus

On Wednesday, while I was reading Elisabeth's post, a line of her writing resonated with me: 
The past year has felt like an extended hiatus from writing. I last blogged eleven months ago in April. The writer’s notebook I started in July is still only half full in March.

I felt like Elisabeth took the words right out of my mouth. This year has felt like an extended writing hiatus for me, too. 

Prior to my February 28th post, I had not blogged since April of 2022. Like Elisabeth, I began a new notebook in July, and I still haven't quite filled it. In fact, there have been a handful of weeks when the only time I wrote in my notebook was when I led a Literary Club session. 

My current writer's notebook - not even 100 pages long


I tried to ignite my writing through the NaNoWriMo challenge last November. I wrote about 10,000 words out of the 50,000 word goal. When I found myself getting too stressed out about finding time to write, I gave myself permission for a short break and never returned to my novel. 

In December, I challenged myself to write a Haiku-A-Day for a month. I wrote a Haiku every day for about two weeks. I am not sure what happened, as a haiku-a-day is a reasonable and attainable goal. I didn't have an audience or any kind of accountability, so maybe this was my problem. 

Perhaps my lack of writing this year has had to do with my school year. Honestly, it has been a tough school year for me. Most days I have returned from school exhausted, only to work in the evening to make sure that I am ready for the next day of teaching. Only to do it again the next day. And the day after that. It's been a hamster wheel. I have felt so overwhelmed as an educator this year. 

Regardless of the reason for my lack of writing this year, I have missed writing. I have missed the connection with other writers. I have missed all of the things that I notice when I am actively writing. I have missed sharing a small slice of my writing. I need to make time for myself to write.  

 
 

5 comments:

  1. Trina, I understand this dilemma. If not for Tuesday blogging and the five days I write w/ my poetry group, I’d probably not write regularly. I’ve never been a daily journal er as you have. I hope I can change that this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self-compassion, my friend, self-compassion. Writing is not a competition. Rotated neglect is a helpful turn to think about not writing, something else needed more attention. I am glad you are here and now. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're here in whatever form you can manage. I agree with Terje, self-compassion is key. "Rotated neglect" is phrase that makes so much sense to me. So while you may not have done as much or enough of the kind of writing that you would have liked in the last year, please give yourself a huge pat on the back because you remain in the classroom and have not walked away. I thank you and salute you. You are doing more than your fair share and you are here. Trina, we got you. - Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can certainly relate to this, Trina. I've been struggling with writing as well, and wonder whether I'll make it through a full 31 days. But you're off to a great start. Hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow to Terje's "rotated neglect" concept! I'm going to be thinking about that all day. I relate to so much here, of course. I have also joined challenges that didn't then pan out (including Nanowrimo--I think I wrote for one day!) in an effort to kickstart my writing life again. It has been another tough year in the classroom for sure. I am glad that we are both here and writing, for now. (I'm also so behind on writing letters!)

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...