Monday, March 6, 2023

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 6/31: Word Games

For the month of March, I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 6/31: 

Word Games

Each morning I try to carve out a little time to solve the New York Times Wordle. While I don't post my statistics to social media, my boyfriend Steve (who lives in another city) and I share our daily progress. 

The premise of Wordle is that you get six tries to guess the five letter word. 

There is some strategy involved in Wordle, especially in the starting word selected. I do not always have the same starting word. However, I typically select my starting word based on a word that has many vowels. My favorite starting words include adieu, suave, teach, ideal, and raise. Steve approaches his starting word in a bit of a different manner. He selects the same starting word for the month and doesn't deviate from it. 

My daughter loves this game, too. At times we figure out the word together. 

If I am stuck, I will often use a word that I know is not the correct answer, just to figure out a letter placement. See my example below: 


Do you play Wordle? What's your favorite starting word? 


8 comments:

  1. I do Wordle most days. My starting word is learn. I usually do the Minu, Spelling Bee, Letter Boxed, and Tiles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to have those small things to look forward to. Wordle is a great way to connect and it sparks a fun competitive side to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love-hate relationship with Wordle. Those words with double letters always seem to cause me to struggle. I do admit, however, that my sound knowledge of phonics USUALLY helps: except those double letter words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Wordle but do t play ever day. I do t post my results either and find those who do share theirs every day boorish. Anyway, my strategy is to choose a three-vowel word as the starting word. I also like Spelling Bee, but I only play the free version! I don’t want to spend money on yet another subscription.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Wordle every day. I stopped posting on social media, and now I share with my niece. I use raise as my starting word almost every day. If I don’t get enough out of that, I use a completely different word to get the other vowels. I am definitely a word nerd!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I play WORDLE too but I am not good at playing it regularly.. I go in spurts. I always use the same starting word because I am hoping to get it in one guess. My word is irate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, and you just reminded me I haven't done it today! My husband and I share our stats daily, too. I usually start with strep and my next word is audio. I love hearing your strategies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't wordled in awhile, but I like adieu as a starting word. I enjoyed reading about how your wordling process differs from Steve's.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...