Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 7/31: ACT Testing

 For the month of March, I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 7/31: 

ACT Testing

Today is ACT testing, a mandatory and standardized test for all juniors. It is officially one of my least favorite teaching days all year. 

Although I had ACT training about two weeks ago, yesterday I spent a significant amount of time prepping. I reviewed the expectations for proctoring the exam, reread the student expectations, and re-watched some of the training videos. I removed all the posters that may provide the student with an unfair advantage on the exam. 

New this year, any students who are not taking the ACT (freshman, sophomores, and seniors) have a virtual learning day. This means that teachers needed to create a virtual learning assignment for students not taking the ACT. After I finish proctoring the ACT today, I will need to assess virtual work, as the completion of this assignment is tied to attendance. I will likely not have any time to plan for Wednesday's classes. I know that I will be thoroughly exhausted by the end of the school day.

Of course, some students will arrive today with heightened anxiety. Other students will not care or try their best. This test won't phase some students. 

There is so much emphasis on this one test. Results from this test are a large factor of our school report card. It can be a determining factor for scholarships and acceptance into higher education institutions.

I wish that our education system wasn't set up this way. 

I will be so relieved at the end of the school day, when ACT testing is behind us. 



6 comments:

  1. My own son will be taking his SAT in under a month. I agree with you on the anxiety of some students and the apathy of others. Why make something compulsory...follow the money, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO true. I used to proctor the NYS achievement tests in a small room with students who needed extra time, frequent breaks and questions clarified. Oh the tears...that is what I will always remember...the TEARS. I sometimes cried as well at the end of the long (extra time) day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trina, I feel your pain. This mandate that monetizes students in the service of a corporate beast angers me so much. And what kind of fresh hell is this virtual learning day that turns one work day into two. This is all so messed up. 😑

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get it! We are in day three of four of standardized testing, and I am fried! I can only imagine how the kids feel. Why the torture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like a terrible combination of factors which Glenda captures so well in her comment. How does this standardized test score come to be a significant part of the RC? That's something I will never understand. I hope the day went smoothly in spite of all the reasons it makes life difficult for so many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes to all of this. It's such a waste. Interesting that your school does a virtual day for the other students.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...