Sunday, December 16, 2018

Haiku-A-Day December #16: Trust, Bit by Bit

I am joining Elisabeth from The Dirigible Plum in writing a Haiku-A-Day during the month of December. 

Haiku-A-Day December #16: Trust, Bit by Bit

I met S a little over a year ago at my church. She had just turned three years old-hesitant to stray far from her parents. To this little one, I am sure that I was a strange, scary grown-up. 

After seeing her nearly every week at church, helping out with our church's Vacation Bible School, and even sporadically visiting her house, S started waving to me from afar. 

A few months ago S started talking to me, a little more than just a greeting. Then she started having little conversations with me. I loved hearing her observations and telling me what was happening at her school. 


Early last month, much to my surprise, one Sunday morning S came over to me during our church service and sat on my lap. Along with my ten-year-old daughter, we colored together. Ever since, each week S finds me part way during the church service and we color together. 

This brings me so much joy. It reminds me when my children were toddlers. I love listening to S tell me about the colors she selects and what she is drawing. 

Here's a double Haiku I wrote about this:

Four-year-old climbs on
my lap. "Wanna color now?"
This shy girl now trusts.

Purple faces, hair
entwines throughout the page. Bold
imagination. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...