Sunday, December 2, 2018

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #2: Holiday Changes

When I began working more closely with high school students labeled "at risk," I noticed around November that many undesirable behaviors escalated - students in trouble in school and or the community, students shutting down, and some students trying to either be invisible or inappropriately vying for attention. I heard more conversations about strained relationships with friends and family. More tears. Not surprisingly, these behaviors often continue throughout December. 

The traditional holiday season often brings excruciating pain for many people, and this is no exception for many of our students. For a teacher, this can be overwhelming. Daunting. It takes a lot of patience. Sometimes it takes more re-teaching in the classroom setting. 

I find myself having more hard conversations. 

Like many of my colleagues, I often think and worry about my students when I am not at school, especially when I know that they are hurting and going through some tough times. One student in particular has been on my mind this weekend. In my Haiku-A-Day challenge for December, I wrote a double haiku in reflection regarding a recent exchange with this student:  



Red-rimmed eyes. Flowing
tears. My first impulse: to fix.
To comfort. Protect.


Yet I can't do much
but listen, show up, see you.
Provide a safe space.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for knowing that sometimes the best you do is give the students a safe space to be. It's tough but even as a mentor I can't do all that much for my student besides listen, show up and see them for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It's really what we can do for anyone. It took me a long time to learn that we cannot fix people.

      Delete
  2. My first impulse is always to fix too. "Let's sit down and try to solve this problem!" It has taken me a long time to learn that my students don't share their struggles with me so that I will try to fix the problem. They seek connection, empathy, validation; most of all, they seek to be seen and heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an important thought, Elisabeth. People do generally seek connection, empathy, validation, and to be seen and heard.

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...