Sunday, December 8, 2019

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #8: Warmth

For the last three years, I've intentionally spent time writing and sharing a Haiku-A-Day for the month of December. The first two years I exchanged a daily Haiku privately with willing friends, mostly through text and email. Last year I wrote and shared each Haiku on my blogThroughout this process, I've discovered that the practice of noticing and reflecting through writing a Haiku grounds me, provides with with a certain kind of peace, assists me with better practicing gratitude, and helps me better navigate this "hurry up" world. This year my goal is the same as last year: to pen and publish a daily Haiku on my blog throughout December. 


Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #8
Warmth

This past Friday night, as I was on my way to meet with up with a dear friend for dinner, I noticed families gathering in our public library's parking lot. Children scrambled around in a frenzy, singing Christmas carols, giggling, and full of joy. I remember wondering why the children were so excited when the library was closed and imagined their possible destinations.

Following my dinner, I passed back through the parking lot, noting that the families were gone, the lot nearly empty, sans a few people lingering around the nearby public transit station. However, gently wrapped around each parking meter and streetlamp were an assortment of hats and scarves. 

Each tag reads,
"I'm not lost. Please take me to keep warm.
Merry Christmas!" 

Upon closer inspection, I realize that these were not simply hats and scarves lost and found. These were winter items intentionally placed for people in need. I suspect the families were responsible for sharing them.


This gesture reminds me what an amazing, generous community I live in.

Handmade and store bought - /
precious warmth shared for those souls/
who need care, kindness. 

1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful story and haiku. The photo looks like a parking meter personified. The image of “souls who need care” made me cry. This time of year can be so lonely.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...