Saturday, March 28, 2020

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 28/31: What I Have Learned So Far

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 28/31: 
What I Have Learned So Far

It's hard not to think about COVID-19 without worry. Trust me, I have. However, this morning I found myself reflecting of what I have learned about myself (and confirmed what I already knew about myself) in the midst of this pandemic:
  • I am a people person. I would not do well in a job where I didn't have much contact with people. I think that it is FAR more challenging delivering school via distance learning than traditional teaching face-to-face. I haven't figured out a good routine for myself yet. I have also realized that it takes me much longer to help a student virtually. Of course I have digital tools, like Google Meet, but my students aren't really familiar with this technology yet and many do not have access to Internet beyond their cell phone. I miss so many things about face-to-face learning. I cannot wait until I get to see students in person again. 
  • I need hugs. Yes, I am a hugger and crave physical contact. There are many staff members/friends who give me hugs when I see them at school and when we get together. Usually, I attend church on Sundays and see my church family there, providing ample opportunities for hugs. During our official "Stay-At-Home Order," I have missed hugs, especially when my kids are not with me. Unfortunately my daughter's guinea pigs only provide me with so much comfort. (Side note: I really need a dog or a cat.)
  • I need meaningful connection. Prior to about a month ago, with the exception of my parents and sometimes my aunt or grandma, I rarely talked to anyone on the telephone or via video chat. I only exchanged streams of text messages. In the last few weeks, my friend, S., and I have been talking on the phone daily. Hearing his voice (and the voice of others on the phone) makes a huge difference. I feel so much more connected to people when I hear their voice. 
  • I need daily time outside. I like to walk and move and explore, even on rainy and cold days like today. My connection to nature has been particularly lifesaving on days I've felt lonely and unsettled. I always seem to handle challenges with more clarity upon return from a walk. 
  • I need daily time to read and write. Reading and writing continue to be my most welcome companions - healthy, essential outlets. Both keep me sane - a refuge for anxiety-ridden thoughts.  
  • I can only control so much. I was under the illusion that I was in control of so much, yet daily I am reminded that I only have control over my actions, my words, and my response. I keep realizing that things that seemed to be in my control never really were. 
I wonder what else I will learn from this time and what my own children, my students, and my friends and family will teach me. I am convinced that I still have so much to learn. 

What have you learned? 



Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? 
Consider sharing a slice of yourlife with Two Writing Teachers

All writers are welcome!

4 comments:

  1. This is such a fascinating topic for a post. I need to think about this a little more (and maybe write about it!). But yes, I'm more of a people person than I realized. I'm a homebody for sure and never feel like I have enough time at home (and even now am not sick of being here) but I do value good conversation and interaction each day and people watching! I had never talked to anyone on video chat before but it's been really helpful, and I also like how people I don't even know that well are like hey, let's video chat. And a big YES to a pet. Given how much you like to walk, a dog might be really nice, but of course I'm partial to cats. There are lots of foster opportunities right now, so you could even try out a foster and see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very reflective perspective and one that I need to think about. Your last one is the one that stuck with me. When the toilet paper shortage begain, someone told me that buying TP was thing a person could control in this crisis. Now, I don't know how much of that is true, but it does kind of make sense. This post has me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have much to learn during this time. This first year of retirement, punctuated by the virus, as made me more attuned to how the world sees education in ways I’d not imagined. Suddenly, we have this thing that changes the playing field. I’ve been on the sidelines observing.

    Many of the things you listed about yourself I felt as though I already knew, but I did not know you’re a hugger. People crave and need human touch. I think this is true for those who don’t think of themselves as huggers. I worry the hugging dynamic will change w/ this thing that has wormed its way into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have taken the time to reflect and I think it was helpful for you to see what you need and how to meet the needs in these strange times. I haven't reflected yet on what this distance learning and stay home means for me. I know this much: I wouldn't be able to work in a place where I would have to sit and stare at the screen all day. I so agree with your last point - we have to focus on the things we can control and not fret about things that are out of our control.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...