Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Slice of Life #22: Day 23: Murals

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #22: Day 23/31:
Murals

“Art is too important not to share.”
Romero Britto

My classroom is tucked in the back of the building, sandwiched between art classrooms. Although I lack windows and natural light in my classroom, every day I am greeted by vivid murals as I walk to my room. Each mural was created by an advanced high school art student. As explained to me by one of our art teachers, each piece represents significant meaning and connection to a student artist. 

I have had the opportunity to observe the process of how the murals are created. First, students project an image using an old school overhead projector. Next, they trace lines of the image using light pencil marks. Finally, students use acrylic paints to color their work. Students often spend class time, free periods, and lunch hours to work on this. It's fascinating to watch this process unfold. Students put everything into these pieces. 

Below are a few of my favorite murals: 




I love that concrete walls can hold so much beauty. For me, passing these murals each day brings me delight. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the murals. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Student art has always been one of my favorite parts of teaching. Please tell your students how wonderful there art is and how insured I am be their work.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...