Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Slice of Life #23: Day 14/31: Cat Shenanigans

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #23: Day 14/31: 
Cat Shenanigans

Beginning last fall, two of my cats began causing quite a bit of mischief in my kitchen. If someone accidentally left out a loaf of bread, they would chew the plastic bag and eat part of the bread. Once they got into a pan of brownies. Another time they got into fresh bagels. As I don't think that it is a healthy diet for cats to eat people food or chew on plastic bags, I quickly learned not to leave out any kind of food unattended on the kitchen table or on the counter tops

Dear readers, understand that Herbert and Binx are not malnourished. They are well fed and even have a bit of wet food twice a day. However, if they could, they would eat all day. Therefore, food is carefully portioned and served at consistent meal times. 

When I returned home from work yesterday, I came home to a surprise. This time, instead of a mess in the kitchen, it was a mess in my basement. Herbert and Binx got into a new, sealed bag of garden soil in the basement. 

The bag was split open with bits of dirt everywhere. 

As I tried to sort out what happened, they continued to try to play in it. (Have you no shame, cats?) 


I tried distracting them with a cat puzzle. This occupied them for less than two minutes, and they continued to try to play in the soil.

Since there was already a mess, I planted a few tomato seeds in seed starter trays. Again, Binx and Herbert tried to get more dirt.


By the time I was finished planting some seeds and cleaning up the area, I must have shooed them off of the table twenty times. 

At least the seeds got planted. 
What kind of mischief happens in your home? 

4 comments:

  1. I just laughed out loud! I have three cats that all have issues. My favorite part is when you wrote, "have you no shame?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the line, Have you no shame? We have a dog who finds any food she can get, but she slinks away when we clean up the remnants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos were so funny. They really feel no shame about any of this! Bread is popular with our cats too; we have a couple who eat plastic so we can't leave any plastic bags out. Plants are an absolute no, and they liked fake plants even better than real (plastic!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trina,
    This is hilarious. Your cats are dirty! LOL. Did they turn the potting soil into a litter box? That would be my first concern. I honestly can see this scene playing out in a Bad Kitty book. Think about sending it to Nick Bruel: Bad Kitty Plants a Tomato Garden!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...