Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Haiku-A-Day Challenge #4: Crochet Journey

For the last three years, I've intentionally spent time writing and sharing a Haiku-A-Day for the month of December. The first two years I exchanged a daily Haiku privately with willing friends, mostly through text and email. Last year I wrote and shared each Haiku on my blogThroughout this process, I've discovered that the practice of noticing and reflecting through writing a Haiku grounds me, provides with with a certain kind of peace, assists me with better practicing gratitude, and helps me better navigate this "hurry up" world. This year my goal is the same as last year: to pen and publish a daily Haiku on my blog throughout December. 


Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #4
Crochet Journey

I first learned how to crochet sometime in my childhood, most likely instructed by my mom or godmother. A few years ago, my neighbor Kelly also took time to try to teach me.

Each time I tried to learn how to crochet, I encountered roadblocks; I put my crochet aside (out of sight) and abandoned it. Recently, I reached out to my longtime family friend, Ellen. She's been teaching me how to crochet again - beginning with the very basics. I have had to restart a few times, untangle yarn, observe her, refer to directions and online tutorials. My stitches began sloppy or tight. I had to redo my stitches so many times and ask for help to get out of my mess. I had to begin again and again. But I'm starting to get it.

Crocheting has given me something to do when I'm by myself. It's been a welcome, needed distraction. It's been a good challenge. 

Recently, I realized that my crochet journey is a good metaphor for my current life events - returning to something that I was never very good at, relearning skills, asking for help along the way, reading and observing when I am stuck, connecting with old friends. 

I am not where I want to be yet, but I am growing.

Create slip knot. Mess.
Work slip stitch. Single crochet.
Restart. Try again. 
My crochet efforts in early November
My crochet efforts now

*Disclaimer: I wrote and "published" part of this post on Instagram last month (with a few edits). BUT the Haiku is new and the second photo is new. 

2 comments:

  1. I’m in awe of your many skills and constant desire to learn new things. Gorgeous pics. Lovely haiku. Thanks for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Haiku and the metaphors. We are all in the constant state of starting over��

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...