Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #11: December Freeze

For the last three years, I've intentionally spent time writing and sharing a Haiku-A-Day for the month of December. The first two years I exchanged a daily Haiku privately with willing friends, mostly through text and email. Last year I wrote and shared each Haiku on my blogThroughout this process, I've discovered that the practice of noticing and reflecting through writing a Haiku grounds me, provides with with a certain kind of peace, assists me with better practicing gratitude, and helps me better navigate this "hurry up" world. This year my goal is the same as last year: to pen and publish a daily Haiku on my blog throughout December. 


Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #11
December Freeze 

"Mom, I'm SO cold! The Weather Channel says it's below zero outside, but it's like ice in here. I just don't want to get ready!" My eleven-year-old whined as she peeled out of bed this morning. 

She's right. It's a frigid Wisconsin morning. Thankfully, inside our house it is a comfortable 67 degrees Fahrenheit.

"Can you imagine being outside right now?" I responded, "We are lucky to live in a heated house with enough clothes and warm blankets." 

"I know, but it's just soooo cold. I want to crawl back to bed and snuggle under the covers." 

"I didn't want to get up today either," I confessed, thinking already about how cold it would be just from the walk from my house to the garage and then from the car to school. I had silently wished for a "cold day," but according to the local weather station, I knew the weather was not supposed to reach a windchill of below 35 degrees below zero today for an extended period of time during the school day - maybe only 25 degrees below zero. Not cold enough to cancel school. 


Sub zero. Freezing./
Hardwood floor morning chill. Heat/
blows through register. 

We yearn to return/
to warm, comfortable bed./
Cold unbearable. 

1 comment:

  1. 67 sounds too cold for me. Your weather makes Idaho look downright tropical! “We yearn to return” echoes the effort to rise in its fiction and vowel sounds. Love the contrast in “comfortable bed. / cold outside.” Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...