Friday, December 13, 2019

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #13: Connection Reminder

For the last three years, I've intentionally spent time writing and sharing a Haiku-A-Day for the month of December. The first two years I exchanged a daily Haiku privately with willing friends, mostly through text and email. Last year I wrote and shared each Haiku on my blogThroughout this process, I've discovered that the practice of noticing and reflecting through writing a Haiku grounds me, provides with with a certain kind of peace, assists me with better practicing gratitude, and helps me better navigate this "hurry up" world. This year my goal is the same as last year: to pen and publish a daily Haiku on my blog throughout December. 


Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #13
Connection Reminder

One of my former pastors, Pastor Paola Benecchi, delivered many wise sermons when she was our pastor at The Family Church. I always enjoyed listening to her words and often recorded what I wanted to remember. 

As I prepared to move to a different house, I unearthed many treasures, including a collection of saved notes like this one: 
"If we believe our opinions are
more important than making connections,
then we are on the wrong path." 
Pastor Paola Benecchi
Paola said, "If we believe our opinions are more important than making connections, then we are on the wrong path." 

Indeed, Paola.

This is a precious note that I will hold onto. It reminds me that a healthy connection with people is vital; it is so much more important than proving to be right about something or somehow exerting my opinion over another person or group. 

Unfortunately, I am often too eager to just share my thoughts and I forget to listen to others. I only consider myself. This inevitably puts me on the wrong path. I miss out in the process.


Healthy connection,/
Building strength. Setting aside/
stubborn opinions. 





1 comment:

  1. I find myself both questioning and embracing this advice. I wonder, what is a “stubborn opinion.” It seems relative. Of course, my mind is in the current political moment. Still, as I grow older I find myself willing to protect relationships more, especially w/ family.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...