Monday, December 16, 2019

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #16: Inhale, Exhale

For the last three years, I've intentionally spent time writing and sharing a Haiku-A-Day for the month of December. The first two years I exchanged a daily Haiku privately with willing friends, mostly through text and email. Last year I wrote and shared each Haiku on my blogThroughout this process, I've discovered that the practice of noticing and reflecting through writing a Haiku grounds me, provides with with a certain kind of peace, assists me with better practicing gratitude, and helps me better navigate this "hurry up" world. This year my goal is the same as last year: to pen and publish a daily Haiku on my blog throughout December. 


Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #16
Inhale, Exhale 

Winter break does not begin until 3:20 this Friday. However, many of my students already seem to be in break mode. In my classroom, this looks like off-topic and loud conversations, students on social media (not even trying to hide their inappropriate cell phone use), teenagers avoiding academic work, and all sorts of student drama. Passing time in the hallways is louder than usual. I have spent a lot of time re-directing students, having honest conversations, and encouraging "above the line" behavior. Readers, this is exhausting to manage.

Today I spent several moments taking extra time to breathe. Inhale, exhale. I will need to remind myself to be patient as a classroom teacher this week.

Week before Winter/
Break:escalating drama,/
work apathy. Breathe.

Striving for learning,/
wise use of time, management./
Now inhale, exhale. 

1 comment:

  1. Your haiku is a lovely expression of teachers’ efforts to cope during this difficult week. I take it you have little administrative support in dealing w/ the phone problem. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...