Sunday, December 1, 2019

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge Day 1: Snowfall Slowdown!

For the last three years, I've intentionally spent time writing and sharing a Haiku-A-Day for the month of December. The first two years I exchanged a daily Haiku privately with willing friends, mostly through text and email. Last year I wrote and shared each Haiku on my blog. This year my goal is the same as last year: to pen and publish a daily Haiku on my blog throughout December. 

Ultimately, I've discovered that the practice of noticing and reflecting through writing a Haiku grounds me, provides with with a certain kind of peace, assists me with better practicing gratitude, and helps me better navigate this "hurry up" world. 

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #1: 
Snowfall Slowdown!

Well, December arrived with a powerful winter statement: snow slowdown! Heavy snowfall - at least four inches so far - has created a winter wonderland. I've shoveled once today and will likely be out several more times to clear the sidewalk. Our street isn't plowed yet, and I fear my little Camry will get stuck, so we will just stay put for now. Although I am sad to miss our welcome community of church this morning, this provides me with extra time to spend with my kids to relax and cherish our time at home. Instead of running typical errands after church, it will be a slow Sunday. 

Here are a few reflections I made early this morning as I was outside shoveling: 

Snowfall hugs tree trunks,
weights power lines, conceals seeds. 
Welcome December.





1 comment:

  1. We’ve had early snowfall here, too. I shoveled yesterday. ❤️ your haiku. “Hug” is a perfect word to describe snow’s grip on our worlds.

    I remember promising to participate in Haiku a day last year and then not doing the challenge. This year I think I can, but w/ only a few hours remaining in today, I need to get started.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...